During the Edo period, there was gold mining at Mt. Hodatsu. According to records pertaining to Etchu, Noto and Kaga provinces, the mining started in 1584. When the industry was at its peak, over 150 people worked there and produced about 1.3 tons of gold, which was equivalent to 3,500 large gold coins at the time. In the beginning, the miners were employed by their bosses and the mining was carried out on that basis. In 1617, the mining came under the direct control of the Kaga domain to prevent an outflow of labor. In 1628, shafts caved in at 12 locations, and gradually the mining declined. Eventually, the mine was closed down. The workers took advantage of the skills they had developed in the gold mine by engaging in civil engineering work for the domain, including the construction of the Tatsumi-yosui water system in Kanazawa. They were called “Hodatsu-mono (people from Hodatsu).” It is not known how many shafts there were in total. Nine shaft openings have been confirmed on the northeast slope, and there is another one halfway up the mountain at Nakaodaira. The “Hodatsu Kinzan ancient documents” are municipally designated as tangible cultural properties.